Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 8 Reflection

I believe that integrating technology into standards-driven curriculum is my responsibility. Failure to engage students in the use of these powerful tools is essentially denying them opportunities to peek into the future. I realize that many of my colleagues would point to my age as a reason for my enthusiasm for technology integration, and I have come to understand that many of these same teachers are unsure about using technology. My conversations with these teachers reveal that this is due to either an unfamiliarity of the tools or a “fear” of breaking something. Anyone who has ever used technology with young children will quickly agree that they are not the least bit fearful of computers, cameras, or other technologies available to them. As I review the resources from this course, I have come to some sound conclusions.

By modeling the use of technology, I can begin to lay the groundwork for “coaching” those with whom I work. I also realize that there are many “free” tools on line that can support the use of technology. The tool I described, Digital Express, is free and is one that is easy to use and my students are thrilled when given the opportunity to “write” on line. They also wait anxiously for their peers to review their writings. Many of my students have shared their experiences with other siblings and friends, leading other teachers to express an interest in using this tool, as well. I have spent several hours planning with these teachers so that they, too, might achieve success. I am excited about the collaborative possibilities that have resulted! In fact, I have contacted ASRI at Clemson University, and I am partnering with them to engage eight of my colleagues in Problem-Based Learning supported by technology. Next fall, ASRI will provide me with web cams, microphones, and Flip video cameras as well as 8 desktop computers. During the school day all of this equipment will be used with my students, but after school I will provide training for participating teachers in both the operation of the equipment as well as using it to support PBL. I have also been named our school’s Technology Coordinator. I believe I can begin to provide the support many teachers need to “take the plunge” in their use of technology.

Staying abreast of emerging technologies will remain a challenge. I have plans to attend the state technology conferences in both North and South Carolina next fall. In addition, I hope that as I work with the teachers in my school, our conversations will help make me aware of the new technologies. I am also following several tweets of those I have met at conferences this year as well as several wikis. I am a subscriber to Edutopia and Wired magazines, too. Hopefully, my efforts will help keep me aware of new tools that can enhance the experiences of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment