Wednesday, February 3, 2010

week 5

A key component to the success of my GAME plan is professional development. I recently registered for the NCTIES to be held during March, in Raleigh, North Carolina. I have discovered that keynote speakers for the event have information posted on the conference site and their blogs present many useful “how to” documents as well as videos, powerpoints, and tutorials. One such presenter is Mr. Clif Mims. His site, Learning Telecollaboratively, offers content that could literally take weeks to digest. One of the tools employed by this site is Slide Share. This tool allows me to download information I find. Then, I can refer to it later. For instance, one presentation that I found to be particularly interesting was one related to uses of the Flip camera in the classroom. There were sample projects and ideas for integrating this simple tool into classroom instruction.

I now have access to a number of technological tools. However I do realize that I need to continue growing my ability to use these tools to create learning experiences for my students. Organizing my instructional time to fully engage my students while ensuring that objectives are being met continues to be my greatest challenge. However, the resources I am discovering on line are definitely helpful to me.

Another question I have relates to creating lesson plans in a format that is acceptable to my schools administration. We are asked to submit lesson plans by grade level for review. The format for these plans is in the form of a template. Interestingly, working to have my inquiry lessons “fit” into this format is a challenge that I am presently experiencing. It seems that I am working to make my technology fit into an analog device (the template).


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention, Ms. Carraway. I'm very glad that you found my blog and wiki to be useful resources. Please feel free to use and share anything of mine that you come across. Together we all learn more.

    Perhaps we'll be able to visit at NCTIES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie -

    That is exciting about the conference you have signed up for! Professional development is definitely a key component in this profession and something that is ongoing. Kudos to you for taking the initiative to get ahead in this aspect of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. C,
    I'm am excited for you to be taking the initiative to search out and attend some staff development on technology integration. The resources you found sound very informative and exciting. I am also looking into using flip cameras with my second graders and will definitely check out Clif Mims' site.
    As for the lesson plans, is this an issue many of your colleagues are having as well? It might be something your administration needs to be aware of. Just as technology is always changing so must the way we plan and implement our lessons. It doesn't always fit a particular template (especially if it is one that has been around for a while.) Maybe planning your own template and presenting it to them might be an option. Mayne they need to see an example.
    Congratulations of finishing your GAME plan. Good luck with your staff development and I hope you bring back some great ideas for you classroom.

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. C,
    It sounds like you had a great opportunity for professional development. I am also looking fdoor opportunities to attend some training over the summer. I think it is our job as teachers to continue to seek out ideas and the conferences allow us to do so.

    I agree with Ashley. The lesson plan format might be something you need to discuss with administration. My schools admin is always wanting the opinions of teachers and maybe yours will feel the same. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete