Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Week 4

My game plan called for ongoing professional development that would facilitate my growth as a teacher of writing as well as a teacher who is integrating technology as an instructional tool. I have had many opportunities to grow my skills in the area of technology integration this year. I have become aware of a plethora of web 2.0 tools. I have also added some tools that have included a web cam and Flip video camera for capturing student projects and sharing these on line. As I continue to grow my skills I will continue to seek professional development trainings related to writing instruction. I feel that my students are excited and motivated to write, but I also realize that I need to grow their skills as writers. This is an area that continues to challenge me. I feel that this is due in part, to the fact that I witness skill growth in my students, but I realize that my students still have miles to go before their skills can be considered proficient on state-mandated tests.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. C.,

    I completely understand what you are saying regarding your students writing proficiency. As you note your students growth, it is also very clear where more growth is needed. I think that is true of any content area. I do think it is important to reflect back to where you started with your current students. It helps keep things in perspective and energize you for the work ahead. You must be doing many things well to have students that excited and motivated to write! Remember, our students come to us to learn, for us to take them to the next level. They are a work in progress; we are there to help them along in the best way we can. Keep up the good work!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. C,
    Hang in there! I know it can be frustrating when we look down the road and see those mandated tests quickly approaching. I feel the pressure as well. But it sounds like you are doing well. Your students are making progress and showing growth- good for you! The technology tools you are implementing are keeping them engaged and eager to learn. That is half the battle. Continue doing what you are doing and keep in mind how far they have come from the first day of school.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms C.
    I think that growing as a teacher that integrates technology could mean growing as a teacher of writing; to illustrate this assertion let’s just look at a simple tool: concept mapping software such as inspiration or the web based Cmap. The use of this tool would allow your language art students to quickly generate visual diagrams that could help them organize their thinking, and guide their writing.
    michel

    ReplyDelete