Sunday, July 12, 2009

Application 2

Although I have been in the teaching profession for only a short while, I have found varying theories related to the ways students actually learn. One theory presented in the reading this week is the idea that students need to find the relationship between their success in learning and the amount of effort they put into their work.  A spreadsheet that allows students to track their progress is even presented.   This tool can be considered as a support tool for the behaviorist learning theory as it does reward learning.  As with any tool, its effectiveness would need to be measured before it could be considered to be a viable tool for use with students.  A question that comes immediately to mind is whether or not the time spent interpreting the rubric would justify its use.  As a third grade teacher, I would also question whether or not my students could use the tool to evaluate their own learning.  If they were unable to draw appropriate conclusions having used the rubric,  the use of this tool could be in question.

     There are a number of software packages on the market that allow students to practice skills and move up through a series of levels.  Many school districts actually purchases licenses to these products as they can be correlated to state testing (MAP).  The software automatically assigns skill sets based on student performance on these tests.  Then, the students work through the practice activities.   Statistics related to the use of these products support their use.  I believe, that as with any product, this activity can work for a  certain amount of time.  I also believe, though, that a variety of activities are needed to ensure that learning is taking place.

   Chapter 9 of the textbook, provides a look at the use of homework as a support mechanism for learning.  The idea that students need many practice sessions to master skills supports the uses of technology as a means of providing this practice.  The authors provide many resources that can provide specific learning experiences for students.  Using these sites supports behaviorist learning theory as it provides drill and practice. However, I believe that true mastery occurs when students use technology to share their ideas and access information.   I have reviewed a sampling of the sites provided, and I have noted that most do not address higher order thinking skills.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I must agree that behaviorism theory does not provide equal opportunity toward education. I believe a student should recieve all levels of educational development. I must say that I like behaviorism theory. It will provide a stimulus response to any subject. I use drills to allow my students an opportunity to learn the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your school currently use MAP? Our district purchased the program for the 09-10 school year, and I was just wondering what your opinion of it was? I agree that most computer games are only geered towards the lower level questioning. What do you do in your classroom to provide students with technology and higher level questioning?

    ReplyDelete