Sunday, July 19, 2009

Week 3

Technology can impact student learning in a number of ways.  One such way is to engage students in cognitive activities that would otherwise be out of their reach.  During a recent social studies lesson, I created a virtual field trip for my students.  I was attempting to help my students understand the changes that took place in South Carolina during reconstruction.  I created a "photo" of South Carolina prior to the Civil War and then a photo of our state following the Civil War.  Students were asked to produce an essay describing changes in life the resulted from the war.  The essay was actually written in the form of a diary entry.  I felt that use of technology through the creation of my version of a virtual field trip enhanced student understanding of the ideas I was attempting to impart.  Curiosity was enhanced.  In addition, students were able to reflect on their learning as they created their journal entries.  Once the students completed their journal entries, they were assigned to small groups.  Each group then combined resources and prepared an "interview" of a Southerner and created a video podcast to share with the class.  This activity called for higher order thinking skills.  Students were able to present information in a manner that was interesting as well as fun.  I felt that real learning occurred. I believe the ultimate result of this project was that the students gained a fuller understanding of the South during reconstruction.  My learning goals were met. 

1 comment:

  1. This lesson sounds outstanding. I imagine your students will remember this lesson for a long time. You made a lesson that could have been very boring and ordinary and made it extraordinary and memorable. You gave students a hands on activity and made them get involved. Your grade and subect level can be tricky sometimes. Way to think out of the box and get everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete