Thursday, January 14, 2010

Application 2

As our county moves forward to address the ISTE’s Educational Technology
Standards for Students, I plan to make addressing the areas of “Communication
and Collaboration” and “Creativity and Innovation” a part of my “game
plan.” I feel that I have an
awareness of the use of many of the tools that will provide my students with 21st
Century learning opportunities, but I realize that I need to work to better
utilize these tools both to provide instruction as well as to engage my
students in the learning process.

As a relatively young teacher, I am working to grow my skills as a
writing teacher. As I grow my
skills in providing individual instruction, I realize that students need
opportunities to collaborate as well.
This is an area that I continue to work to improve upon. Classroom management is a concern for
me in this area as is assessing student progress. I find it hard to evaluate student growth when students
collaborate on projects. I realize
the need to provide varied organizational plans when engaging students in the
writing process, but find it difficult when one contributing partner of a
collaborative experience appears to be “driving” the project.

Promoting Creativity and Innovation is a challenge that I believe I
already address. I feel that I
engage my students in the creation of variety of products and allow them
multiple opportunities to share their ideas via podcasts, videos, and other
digital products. However, I
realize that my efforts often dead end as the teachers that follow me do not
use these tools. For that reason,
I have sought opportunities to engage the teachers at my school in trainings
that will allow them to learn to use some of the tools I have available and am
willing to share. I am also in
hopes that the administrators at my school will find it appropriate to purchase
some of these tools to support learning, too. Following some of the trainings that I have helped to set
up, I have made myself available to provide support to teachers. I have found that most have an interest
in using the tools that are available, but they are afraid to try as they are
unfamiliar with these tools. I
realize that my interest in using technology carries with it some
responsibilities to stay current on the trends and tools being used in
education. This is a challenge
that I am willing to accept.
Recently, I attended a state technology conference so that I could gain
insight into the educational trends related to technology.

1 comment:

  1. Ms. C.,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I can relate when you say you have a hard time assessing students' work when they work collaboratively on an assignment. I too struggled with this when I began to encourage collaborative learning. Something I found really helped me, especially in the beginning, is assigning roles to the students in each group. That way everyone was responsible for something. The students had their choice of roles and they knew they had an important part in the group's success. I hope that helps. Good luck as you pursue your goals!

    Ashley Coughlin

    ReplyDelete